Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Cycling the Erie Canal - Day 4

Day 4 –Seneca Falls to Syracuse (43 miles)

Another beautiful day for a ride. The upstate NY area has not had any rain for a few weeks and in some areas, the grass is turning brown.  I’m fine if it rains... starting this coming Sunday afternoon when our ride is finished. For now, the weather continues to be perfect. Warm during the day and lower 60's with low humidity at night.

Nine Mile Creek Aqueduct. Restored old canal on top.


Today it was Harold’s turn to shuttle the car and I rode with Gary. We took roads out of Seneca Falls for the first 24 miles until we got back on the canal path. As we road down Route 31, I had this sense of déjà vu. And then I realized I had been here before with America By Bicycle less than two years ago.  There on the left was the convenience store we stopped at for chocolate milk and Gatorade. There on the right was where we had our ABB SAG stop. As I’m stopped at a red light, I looked left and the scene was my computer screen background of the town of Port Byron. (Great memories of ABB which I will get to relive this September. Looking forward to that!) Though I remembered cycling through Pittsford two years ago, this is the first section of our ride that I specifically remember from the ABB ride. I recall on that ride, we did not ride on the canal path until well east of Buffalo.
This section of old canal has been restored and rewatered.

After we reentered the canal path, we went by the Nine Mile Creek Aqueduct, an aqueduct on the old canal that has been rebuilt to carry the canal over Nine Mile Creek. This section is again in use for tour boats that cover a two mile section of old canal which has been restored and rewatered.

Tent camping tonight.
Tonight, we are camping at Burnet Park in Syracuse. Dinner is at the Syracuse Zoo next door to the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment